Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Ahh, embarassing

So, I went to go pee just now, and I noticed a really bizarre smell on my pad. Hardly any discharge, but it just smelled wrong. I told the nurse. She took my pad... she is now going around to the other nurses ASKING THEM TO SMELL IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

(crawls under a rock and dies of embarassment)

Holy eff.

Nurse took a look at my chart, everything was tested last week and was fine on the 30th. I did test GBS positive, which is a change from when I was pregnant with Jakob. I didn't know that, means I have to be treated with antibiotics before Ellie is born, as soon as my water breaks.

I'm supposed to collect my pads over night, to see if it continues, and then they'll see what to do in the morning. I don't have a fever, I feel okay, other than that headache. They don't usually redo all the tests, but might do if I still smell gross in the morning.

Google doesn't help my nerves... I just read about Chorioamnionitis. SCARY. One of the symptoms is weird smelling discharge.

What are the symptoms of chorioamnionitis?

Although chorioamnionitis does not always cause symptoms, some women with the infection might have the following:

  • High temperature and fever
  • Rapid heartbeat (The fetus might also have a rapid heartbeat.)
  • Sweating
  • A uterus that is tender to the touch
  • A discharge from the vagina that has an unusual smell

How is chorioamnionitis diagnosed?

Chorioamnionitis is most often diagnosed by physical exam and the findings listed above. Other clues can be found by taking a blood sample from the mother and checking for bacteria. In addition, the doctor might take samples of the amniotic fluid to look for bacteria. The doctor might also use ultrasound to check on the health of the fetus.

How is chorioamnionitis treated?

If your doctor diagnoses chorioamnionitis, he or she will treat you with antibiotics to help to treat the infection. However, the treatment is to deliver the fetus. In addition, if the newborn has an infection, he or she will be given antibiotics, as well.

What are the complications of chorioamnionitis?

If the mother has a serious case of chorioamnionitis, or if it goes untreated, she might develop complications, including:

  • Infections in the pelvic region and abdomen
  • Endometritis (an infection of the endometrium, the lining of the uterus)
  • Blood clots in the pelvis and lungs

The newborn might also have complications from a bacterial infection, including sepsis (infection of the blood), meningitis (infection of the lining of the brain and the spinal cord), and respiratory problems.

Omg. I hate the internet. I'm sure I don't have this, but it's spooky! I think I'm going to ask to be tested tomorrow. For sure.

Off to call my hubby. Goodnight!

1 comment:

  1. I had chorio without any if those symptoms! Just labour!

    It's a horrible infection. Hopefully you don't have it!

    ReplyDelete