Monday, April 18, 2011

I just had a really, reallly good chat with the mfm today. God, I wish he were my doctor! I can't remember who it was, but someone I know recommended him, and boy were they every right. He took so much time talking to me about all my concerns, and the best part was that Jason was here for it.

Wow, okay, let's see if I can remember everything.

The plan of action currently is to see me get through to Thursday or Friday. If I get that far without an infection or labor starting, then they'll come up with a long term (ish) plan. Because I don't just have pPROM, and I don't just have IUGR, and I don't just have a chronic abruption, I have all three, he believes that I wouldn't fall under the normal management for any of those conditions (usually trying to make it to 34 weeks or higher). He said, there's a case to be made for bailing out early, say on the weekend, before 33 weeks, especially if I say that's what I want. I told him how concerned I am about infection, and about everything really, and he said that depending on the mfm I get, I might "have to twist some arms" but I can probably talk myself into being induced before 34 weeks. It was easy to see that is what I was getting at, and he supports it. That said, he did mention that some mfms are more aggressive, trying to make you stay pregnant as long as possible, others bail at the first sign of trouble. The third group, is somewhere in the middle, and that's where he said he is. "You've got the liberals, conservatives and ndp".

So, we're "roided up", and will keep monitoring me daily. We'll bail at the first sign of trouble, and he said that it's really likely she'll decide to come on her own before they have to decide what to do with us.

At 32 weeks, we're looking at 3 weeks of NICU time, at 34 weeks, only 1, but that time is negligble, especially given the survival rate of babies between 31-34 weeks is the same. If I go to 34 weeks, he said it would be no problem to continue antibiotics until Ellie is born (thank you Panda for that suggestion, I appreciate it!).

So, delivery seems likely this week, especially if I can advocate for Ellie and I. He said it's so hard to know what to do, since there isn't adequate research on any of this, and I'm a unique case. Normally you don't get all the complications I have at the same time. Even if it was just an issue of pPROM, the research isn't clear cut, which is why so many doctors have such varying opinions on treatment options.

My last IV antibiotics are finishing up. I'll get the IV taken out, and then start on orals after that. I cannot wait to have a shower, you have NO idea how excited I am to get clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment