Tuesday, April 12, 2011

1:40pm Tuesday

I have had a really great day, so far.

Alexandre and my dad came by just before 10 this morning. I had managed to find time to wash my hair, so I didn't look like a total grease ball. My little brother told me I don't look any bigger than I did the last time he saw me, which is pretty true. They visited for about 45 minutes, which was lovely.

Theresa from Recreational Therapy came in just after they left to let me know she was going to set up a sewing machine for me! It was like angels singing, you have no idea how excited I was to have the chance to really SEW! I spent a couple hours in the lounge, ironing and sewing. I made two really awesome blankets. One with the light pink minky dot, with Bella/Cozy Madison fabric. The other, is this lovely aqua fabric, with pink birds, I LOVE it, and paired it with a light aqua minky. Both were done with cotton borders, they turned out great. I sewed a couple bibs for some of the other ladies, because I wasn't overly interested in making cards or embossing. I was so happy.

Just as I was finishing the ends on the last bib, my boys walked in!! They didn't even let me know they were coming, but I was thrilled at the surprise visit. Jakob was so cute. The first thing he told me was "Mommy, I stepped in dog poop!" Hahaha, gross. He was so chatty. They stayed for almost two hours, while I had my lunch, and he told me all about everything he's been doing. It was so nice to have them here with me.

After they left, I had a visit from my doctor. I am not a high-priority patient, but she is pushing for me to get a private room. I think I'm second in line, though, because there's some chick in the room beside me who is sick and needs to be isolated as to avoid making the rest of us sick. There are no beds available, other than the one beside me, and I'm waiting on a roommate today, I think she's got kidney stones or something like that. The doctor said I have to go 48-72 hours with no bleeding, and since that hasn't happened since I've come, they can't even give me an estimation of when I might possibly get to go home. That's okay, I am used to it here. Depending on how my bloodwork from the other day was, I might start on iron supplements, since I've been losing blood, and will only lose more when I actually had her. She said that there's no reason at the moment why they would deliver her, unless I was "bleeding to death" (yikes) or Ellie were in severe distress. They want me to give her every chance at growing they can. The doctor was looking over my sewing, and admiring my blankets :)

My roomie is really, really nice! Ah, love it.

On Friday, at our next recreational therapy, they're going to be making fleece quilts. I get to do all the sewing! I suggested to the lady in charge that instead of sewing everything, maybe I can sew the panels (the other patients will cut out the fabric they want, and pin it the way they want it laid out) and then finish them as a no-sew blanket, where you make cuts at regular intervals, then tie the fabric together. I think the ladies would feel like they actually did something more than just cutting out the fabric. It's nice to feel productive.

I have two burp cloths cut out (rectangular, not the same shape as the one I did before), a blanket for Amber, another blanket for Ellie (her stroller blanket), a blanket for the twin bed in her room (it's going to be big!) and another couple of blankets. Busy! Because I've been able to sew them on the machine, I can totally sell them in my shop. I really love the way they look with the border. I am going to ask Jay to bring in my SusieCues labels, so they can be sewn on properly. I think I'm also going to ask for some of the extra minky, so the ladies can use it for their crafts. I have so much extra fabric, it would be nice to have it go to some place worthwhile!

My mom is coming by in an hour or so, which will be nice. I wish I were allowed to get up and walk, but I've been told that I'm only allowed to go to and from the lounge in a wheelchair, three times a day, and my showers are to be limited to 5 minutes. FIVE? Ah, that's lame. No baths, since my membranes are exposed. I hope the bleeding settles so that I can get back to my level 3 bed rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment