Saturday, March 31, 2012

Easter Crafting

It's a crafting type of day. We spent the morning cleaning our house, and this afternoon DH is at the hospital visiting with E, whom he hasn't seen since Tuesday.

J and I are up to Pinterest crafts. We're in the process of boiling blow-out eggs, wrapped in silk ties! (http://www.ourbestbites.com/2012/03/silk-dyed-eggs-aka-tie-dyed/)

Okay, so here's how we did it. I poked a pin through the top of each egg, and a larger embroidery needle into the bottom to make a bit bigger hole. I used the bigger needle to break the yolk, and blew through the small hole, to empty the contents of the egg into a bowl (quiche for dinner!). Then, I filled the eggs with soapy water, and blew them dry. My cheeks hurt.
Using 100% silk ties that I bought at the thrift store for 25c a piece, I cut out a piece large enough to cover an egg. I didn't have any twist ties, like she used in the tutorial I was following, but I do have a lot of string. I wound string around the fabric (right side facing the egg), until it was all wrapped up. This took a little bit of time, but I got going pretty quickly. Then, I wrapped a piece of white fabric around the silk. 
 I placed the eggs in my biggest pot. I have this pot which has a colander that fits into it. It left enough space for the eggs to stay in the water, without floating to the surface. I put a quarter cup of vinegar in the water, and set the egg shells to boil for half an hour. After that, I took them out of the water, and set them to cool off before I impatiently snipped the strings, and revealed...
Here are the rest!!

Love this one, with the imprint of thread!

All the colors transefered so beautifully


Stripes


My polyester fail!

Need a basket!

 I will take photos of the rest of them when my battery finishes charging :) Oh, and you MUST use 100% silk. I found a scarf at the thrift store, which didn't have a label, and I thought it might be silk. Turns out it was polyester, and while some of the color transferred, it was soooo much more faint than the transfers I got using silk.
When they were all dry, I oiled them up with some olive oil, and I'm just deciding what to do with them!

I found a bunch of awesome embroidery hoops at the thrift shop, when I was looking for ties. I filled them with scraps of fabric, and will put them on the wall in our den, once we remove all the boxes from in there.
(http://designeditor.typepad.com/design_editor/2011/09/embroidery-hoop.html)


I've been wanting to do this forever. I just need to find them a home.



Love the different frames, and different fabrics!


 I also found some brass candlesticks, I plan on painting, and attaching plates to, to make cakestands! (http://andersonfamilycrew.blogspot.ca/2010/11/made-with-love-diy-cakedessert-stand.html)

My camera battery died mid-photo shoot, so once it's recharged, I plan on updating this post with photos of our finished projects!

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I was very excited with how they turned out, and think I might go on a hunt of some other thrift stores for more ties! Definitely a recommended craft :)

      Delete
  2. That is way cool! I might give that a try if I can find some silk ties. I also love the embroidery hoop idea! You amaze with finding time to do all these fun things and still spend time with E!
    You definitely are a super mom!

    ReplyDelete