Thursday, March 22, 2012

Today has been incredible. Absolutely perfect.

This morning, I woke up at 6:45am, put on my housecoat and my slippers, and went downstairs to relieve the nurse. E had a great night, although she did need a fair number of mask readjustments. The nurse left, and as E was still sleeping, I made myself a cup of tea, and sat at the dining table, staring at her. Finally, when it didn't seem like she was going to wake up, I curled up on the couch, and fell asleep. E woke at 8:30am, right around the same time as J, and the four of us huddled together in the living room, basking in the feeling of togetherness. J was so indescribably happy to have us all together, he asked to hold E, to feed her, to sit beside her and play with her. He is an amazing big brother.

We're conginsant of the fact that he will struggle when he realises that he is no longer an "only child", but we're hoping he is confindant in our love for him, and accepts quickly that Ellie is here to stay. When times get tough with him, I remind myself of how upset he was to leave her in the hospital when she was first admitted. Having her home will be our new normal.

Ellie was exceptionally tired today. I assume yesterday wiped out her reserves, as she has done little but sleep, eat, smile, and sleep again. Presently, she's tucked into my sweatshirt, smiling, and sleeping. I know she should be on bipap, but I'm as happy as she is to be close to her.

We had a steady stream of visitors today, which I like. I have no qualms about asking people to wash their hands before touching her, and I think I might become one of those parents, who hang "Do not touch my baby" signs on their stollers and car seats! We are NOT going back to the hospital!

Jakob is having a special sleepover at my mother's, Jason is pressure washing the patio and carport. Ellie's just eaten, had her shot for the day, and we have nothing to do but snuggle and relax.
We're cognisant of the fact that he will struggle when he realizes that he is no longer an "only child", but we're hoping he is confidant in our love for him, and accepts quickly that E is here to stay. When times get tough with him, I remind myself of how upset he was to leave her in the hospital when she was first admitted. Having her home will be our new normal.

E was exceptionally tired today. I assume yesterday wiped out her reserves, as she has done little but sleep, eat, smile, and sleep again. Presently, she's tucked into my sweatshirt, smiling, and sleeping. I know she should be on bipap, but I'm as happy as she is to be close to her.

We had a steady stream of visitors today, which I like. I have no qualms about asking people to wash their hands before touching her, and I think I might become one of those parents, who hang "Do not touch my baby" signs on their strollers and car seats! We are NOT going back to the hospital!

J is having a special sleepover at my mother's, Jason is pressure washing the patio and carport. E's just eaten, had her shot for the day, and we have nothing to do but snuggle and relax.

I put together a before and after of E, on admission day, and on discharge day. We had to adjust her car seat straps by two notches, she's grown so much!



1 comment:

  1. Just checking in and so thrilled to see that Ellie is home!! I know you've been dreaming of this for a long time. :)

    ReplyDelete