Sunday, March 11, 2012

Blame

I read an article this morning (sorry can't link to it as I am on my phone), about a family that sued the medical organization that provided pre and post-natal care for a child who turned out to have Down Syndrome. They won their multimillion dollar lawsuit, filed when their daughter wass four years old, telling the media they would have terminated their pregnancy if they had known their daughter hasd DS, BUT they "love" her... but, they sued, to cover the increase in costs of raising a child with special needs.
are you KIDDING me?!
First, that poor little girl. I can only imagine how she will feel if she ever understands what happened.
Second, as a special needs parent, where I know my daughter isn't going to live indeppendently, where we have taken up an ICU bed for over 130 days, where we know our lives are going to be affected everyday, I am disgusted by those parents. There is no one to blame. You can't point your finger at your doctors, the ultrasound techs, anyone! Sure, there are prenatal tests which can often predict DS, they are not a guarantee. Nothing is guaranteed!
In our case, there is no way we could have known Ellie has PWS before she was born. Yes, we went through a minor phase of wanting to blame someone for our situation, but then we came to the conclusion that this is LIFE. You get what you get, if you are lucky enough to have a child at all.
It isn't my doctors' fault Ellie has a genetic condition. It just happened. I would never fathom suing them, or anyone for the "troubles" we will endure in the course of our journey.
What about parents who never get a diagnosis? What about "perfect" babies who suffer birth accidents, or kids who are seriously injured playing sports?
I cannot believe those parents won their lawsuit. It sets a horrible precedence.
I can only hope the people I know value their children for who they are, regardless of number of genes, and never as any form of burden (emotional, physical, financial...).
All children deserve to be loved unconditionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment