Saturday, February 11, 2012

Toaster Head Syndrome


Every now and then, I look at the search terms that lead people to my blog.

This week, there are a couple terms that stood out, and I wanted to write something about them!
The first, I had to Google, because I had never heard it before: toaster head syndrome.

TOASTER HEAD!!!!!!

What a name! I am very familiar with the medical term, which is dolichocephaly, more often referred to as preemie head.  Ellie had very pronouced "toaster head", (oh my word, that makes me giggle) when she was first born. The doctors said it was because she was breech for the majority of my short pregnancy, and because she was early. Kids with PWS also tend to have that head shape.

Ellie's head has rounded out a LOT, all on its own. She was a little wonky, from having spent too much time in the NICU on her right side, but positioning has helped fix it.

Ellie in the NICU a couple weeks after birth:


Long and Narrow (Dolichocephalic) Head
After, at 9.5 months actual


No comments:

Post a Comment