Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Every single parent I've met along this crazy journey has been inspirational to me. If it weren't for Ellie, I would have remained in ignorance of everything that goes on at BC Children's Hospital. The parents here, they're outstanding.
Jakob is so lucky to have had this experience. Most children who see kids with various medical devices, be it iv lines, oxygen cannulas, tracheostomies, feeding tubes, are frightened by the sight.
Today, we went to the Valentine's Day party upstairs. There were all sort of kids, ones with broken bones, ones recovering from surgery, ones with cancer. Jakob didn't hesitate for one second. He doesn't see that "stuff", he sees the child. He played, very happily with some oncology patients, and didn't understand when I pulled him out of the "oncology only" area. He is already an amazing, compassionate individual. I am so, so looking forward to seeing him grow up.
I visited with my friend B today, and one of her twins. They've never been home, and I've known B for a year. Our girls were born within two weeks of each other. I am absolutely blown away by her strength. She's been through so much, and when she smiles, the smile still reaches her eyes. Hospitals can break you down, but these parents have so much strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment