Tuesday, May 31, 2011

What...?


Ellie is doing well. She's still struggling with finding enough energy to feed, so she occasionally gets in a full feed at the breast, and more often does half a feed, every other feed, by bottle, with a ng tube top-up. Her weight gain is great, she's up to 2100 grams, or 4lb 10oz!

Today, the doctor came in and told us that "she has 46 chromosomes, and she's female". Apparently, behind my back, they were testing her for Down Syndrome. According to the doctor, although he didn't agree, his colleagues thought that Ellie had Down Syndrome. I'll be honest, the thought crossed my mind on more than one occasion, and my internet search history will attest to it, but I never thought to mention it, since no one else had brought it up. I was relieved to hear she is chromosomally normal, but really... they should have at least told me it was a possibility!!! I HATE SURPRISES.

It took three weeks for the test results to come back, and he told me that since he didn't believe she had the syndrome, but that he was obligated to follow-up on it since his doctor friends were sure she had it, he didn't want to stress me out.

Not sure if I would have been stressed out about it, maybe... maybe not. We won't know. The one thing that does stress me out is having an experience, now, where they haven't been forthcoming with information.

Today, the nurse thought maybe Ellie would be home in 2-4 weeks. Who knows, I've stopped guessing, it'll happen when it happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment