Monday, May 2, 2011

Exhausted

Yesterday was panning out to be a good day. I bussed to the hospital to see Ellie, came home for lunch, then snuggled in with jakob for our afternoon nap. Around 4, my mom woke me up, which was weird. Apparently my mil was with Ellie at the hospital, and they told her that she was going to be moved to st. Paul's before shift change!!! They didn't call ME. They just asked my mil to pass on the message. Needless to say, I was a little peeved.
I had to wait for my parents to finish some errands thwn come back to watch Jakob.
I didn't get to the hospital until 6. When I got there, I looked over all the paperwork, noticed some errors they had to fix, and talked to the nurse about what to do with all our milk bottles and baby things.
Sigh... not too impressed with the staff yesterday.
But, I loved the infant transport team. Niel and Mike were awesome. Packed Ellie into the stretcher incubator, and off we went! Jason followed in our car. I got to go in the ambulance with E. Didn't take too long to get there. We unloaded and went up to the nicu. Ugh, more chaos! The staff at womens only called to say we were coming as we walked in the door! Talk about disorganization. They scrambled to get an incubator ready, and then got all the paperwork from the itt guys. Our nurse (who honestly looked older than my granny!!) Weighed Ellie - 1496g! Amazing.
She got her dressed, put her in her nest and did all the admission swabs.
After that, I got to hold her while they did her feed over a 30 min pump.
They talked to us about wanting to do twice a day baby to breast trials. The pump room is so nice, the family lounge is so nice, if you can overlook the crap location and super strict visiting regulations (jakob and grandparents only- and they have to be accompanied by us) it isn't all that bad.
Our pediatrician is amazing. I really like him. He was very positive. They do way less bloodwork than womens. "Why do tests if you aren't going to do anything with the results?"
Less pokes, definitely a good thing.
They use oxygen on desats lower than 88. The threshold at womens was 75! That's a huge difference.
She doesn't have to get to any weight in particular, she just needs to maintain her temp in room air, and take all her feeds by mouth. They don't care how (breast, bottle, cup, spoon...).
Ah, gotta deal with a jake mess! Will add more later

No comments:

Post a Comment