Thursday, May 26, 2011

There are protocols for time spent breastfeeding, for the time the baby spends actively "nutritively" sucking, and corresponding top-up by gavage requirements. If they nurse for over 15 minutes they don't need a topup, especially if they latch well, suck well and breasts feel softer post-feed. We haven't topped up, because she does nurse a long time and seemingly effectively. Well, tonight, the nurse suggested we do a test weigh. We did one before and one after her feed, and they were 2138 and 2146 (with clothes, diaper, wires...). Naked she was 1997 pre-feed, and with a diaper on, post she was 2022. Not getting a lot at all, but the scales aren't reliable. I don't know what to make of it. I think she is getting enough, but obviously I don't want to starve her, so we topped up 15 mls by ng tube. Her total feed is 37ml.

Sigh, just another thing I never ever questionned with jake, that I question now. Having a preemie has erased the instinctual sense of knowing what my baby needs.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think your mothering instincts have been off once with this girl. You wouldn't have agreed to the test weigh if your instincts didn't tell you to. No one is more in touch with her than you.

    ReplyDelete