Thursday, May 26, 2011

How far have I walked over
the past five weeks? How many trips have I made back and forth, back and forth, from the apartment, to the hospital, home. Too many, and not enough. I am so ready to be done with our nicu journey.
Perspective is a funny thing. At Children's, Ellie was one of the healthiest there. At St. Paul's one of the sickest. For a baby the size of a 33 weeker, she is doing really well. it's funny, she is five weeks old, gestationally she is 37 weeks, but for all intents and purposes, they are treating her like she is 33 weeks. She does all the things you would expect of a 33 weeker. I wonder when she will catch up. In due time, I suppose. When she is good and ready.
I have a little doll :) when she comes home, away from the monitors, the alarms, the bells and whistles of the nicu, I think we will see for real how little she is. I was looking at our Moses basket, the one Jakob outgrew at a month old, it is bigger than the bassinette she is in at the hospital. Perspective... her crib is going to swallow her!

When jakob was born, we coslept from the start. I won't do that with her. For starters, she is way, way too small, and I honestly think we would smush her. There's also the bonus, that she is on an established sleep and eat schedule. Feeds every three hours, sleep in between. She is snuggled before and during feeds, left alone between them. I like that. We will use her beautiful room, ill sleep in the room beside her.
For one feed between midnight and morning, I can definitely sit up!
Little Miss is great at nursing. She isn't so great at bottle feeding. Grumble, grumble.
Last night she took 10mls by bottle, 20 by ng tube. During the day yesterday, it was 5 and 25. How can she be so awesome at breast and not the "easy" way?
I don't know what to expect. She has to take 100 percent of her feeds by mouth. I can't be here round the clock.
So, my revised homecoming goal is June 6th, Jay's first day of holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment