Monday, February 14, 2011

Monday, February 14, 2011

‎Monday, ‎February ‎14, ‎2011
Wow, it's Valentine's Day. Today's the day I get that day pass. I want to ask about my ultrasound, if that's going to happen. I'd also like to talk to the ob, to see what today's doctor thinks. The one from two days ago versus Dr. R have polar opposite opinions.
Today's nurse (this morning's, I guess) is one of my favourites. She takes the time to chat, and it's so nice. She changed my sheets while I showered, and I feel great. The back of my legs are ridiculously itchy, I think it's from all the lying down. The skin is very irritated. I have to get back on my feet. I didn't have any contractions in the shower, even lying here is fine. I think it's time to go home. I'kll try out today. If I take it easy, then we'll see how it goes. I really hope I can go back to having an easy pregnancy. I want that so badly. I wonder if all this bedrest is really necessary...
That was a unexpected visit! Someone knocked on my door, and it was the mother of my childhood bestfriend. We used to live kitty-corner through the back alley away from eachother. I haven't seen her in years and years, and it took a few seconds to recognize her. I have to tell my mom!!
Dr. K came in this morning. Since I've had no cramping (other than light ones) and no bleeding, I am allowed to go home today for a while. Yes. She's going to talk to the MFMS today, to see about getting me in for an appointment this week. They'll do the detailed ultrasound, and figure all that stuff out. Who knows, I might go see them and they'll tell me I am not at risk of PTL, and I can get back to normal. That's what I think will happen. I keep forgetting to ask if any of this will mean I can go home for good. She also drew me a diagram of "beaking", not peaking. She said it's just a soft market of PTL, but it does affect the measurement of the cervix, since the measure the closed part, not the open, or beaked part. So, what feels like a long cervix, in reality might not be. See?

The top is beaked, the bottom isn't. they measure the closed part. How do I look? Had a shower and I am having a good hair day!
When I get home today, I am going to get Jay to pull out the couch. I'm going to organise all my fabrics, according to which project they are, do as much pinning, cutting, instruction writing as possible. I am reluctant to check my email. I might change my status on my shop, but deal with the rest of it tomorrow, when the fabrics are organised. Need to pick up fabric at Gordon's.
J and Kim came by this morning/early afternoon. J sat with me for over an hour, it was amazing. I can't wait to snuggle him at home. I can't wait! I wonder what the process is of getting out of here. I wonder if my hep-lock stays in, and if I get wheeled out of here, or if I walk. If I walk when I come back in. I have 6 hours off, so from 2-8pm. We'll have our nice day, I will get my stuff done, have dinner, and then I will come back in time for Bones. Haha.
I'm tired, but totally ready to see something other than a hospital.
** I've been home, and now I am back again. It was nice to check in with everything online, and have a good dinner, but, BUT, on the way home I started contracting. Damn, I meant to open that contraction master site before I disconnected from the internet. Oh well.
I haven't said anything, in the hopes they go away.
I thought today was Tuesday. It's only Monday. At least Jason brought me lovely flowers, and a card which made me tear up. He is amazing.
Dr. K just stopped by to see how my home visit went. I told her that it wasn't so great, and that I had a bunch of contractions on the way here. It still hurts, so she said she's going to do another cervical check and see what's up. I think it would be nice to know that things aren't changing. She thinks I am going to stay until I get my appointment with the perinatologist this week, and then we'll go from there. So much for going home tomorrow.
Here is some information I found online:
Prodromal labor has been misnamed as “false labor." Prodromal labor begins much as traditional labor but does not progress to the birth of the baby. Not everyone feels this stage of labor, though it does always occur. However, this does not mean that every woman will experience every symptom. The term is used to describe a cluster of physical changes that may take place in a pregnant woman before she goes into "real" labor, such as an increase in blood volume (sometimes resulting in edema), Braxton Hicks contractions, the presence of colostrum in the breasts, and the dislodging of the mucous plug that has sealed the cervix during the pregnancy.
Fetal fibronectin

Fetal fibronectin has become the most important biomarker—the presence of this glycoprotein in the cervical or vaginal secretions indicates that the border between the chorion and deciduas has been disrupted. A positive test indicates an increased risk of preterm birth, and a negative test has a high predictive value.[1] It has been shown that only 1% of women in questionable cases of preterm labor delivered within the next week when the test was negative.[45]
Ultrasonography of the cervix

Obstetric ultrasound has become useful in the assessment of the cervix in women at risk for premature delivery. A short cervix preterm is undesirable: At 24 weeks gestation a cervix length of less than 25 mm defines a risk group for preterm birth. Further, the shorter the cervix the greater the risk.[46] It also has been helpful to use ultrasonography in women with preterm contractions, as those whose cervix length exceeds 30 mm are unlikely to deliver within the next week.[47]
WELL... Dr. K just checked me again, no real change since her last exam a few days ago, and that is so good. It doesn't mean the internal length hasn't changed, but it does mean no probable labor any time soon. I just have to stay until the peri appointment. I hope that's SOON, like tomorrow. I am probably going to have to stay put until then. Mom's coming home soon, that will help. I miss my family, my J, my DH.
It's hard, this is so hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment