Thursday, February 17, 2011

Detailed Ultrasound

My appointment this afternoon was really interesting. I've had more ultrasounds this pregnancy than I can keep track of, but this one I will remember forever. BC Women's is a teaching hospital, and the ultrasound department almost only deals with pregnant women. The technologist absolutely knew what she was doing, and the "student" was a Maternal Fetal Medicine Fellow. Both were really nice. The fellow was learning the ropes to basic ultrasound scanning.
I thought the ultrasound would take the 45 minutes they predicted on my admission form. It ended up taking an hour and a half. The whole time, my friend was there with me, asking all the questions that I always think of, but never vocalize. They told us everything they were doing right from the start, and we had a nice big monitor to watch it all on. They didn't tell us the measurements of anything, but did say that she might just have the same body type as me, "tall and skinny". We'll see, they did say that her abdominal circumference was around the 8th percentile, so that hasn't changed in a week, which is great news. They did a doppler study of cord blood flow, and it looked pretty normal to me, so I'm not worried about IUGR, at least not at this point. I don't think the doctors are going to worry about it either.
After all the measurements with the trans-abdominal scan, they moved to the vaginal scan. Gail joked that the transducer looked a lot like a sex toy, the tech laughed and said "a very expensive sex toy!". My uterus decided to contract (which I didn't actually feel) when they started, and they couldn't find my cervix. They let me be for about ten minutes, then tried again. Uterus was calm, but my cervix was, according to them, unusually hard to find. They did find it, it looked fine! But, what do I know?? I didn't see what the measurement was, but it certainly didn't look like some of the ones I've seen online. That said, they were able to zoom in a lot closer than they usually can, because I'm thin. She said you could practically see the table underneath me with the scanner! They enjoyed practicing on me, easy mom, quiet baby, all in all a good combination.

Waiting for tomorrow morning. I have been assigned to a perinatologist, but no information comes up on her when I googled her name. Hmmm... I hope she knows lots! We have to be there at 9:45am, which means leaving around 9am, so that we can drop off J at my Mom's (who is home!!) and then make it there in time to park, check in and be ready when they call us.

Today was pretty alright. Definitely didn't feel like I needed to be in the hospital, but then again, I need to know what the MFM thinks!

No comments:

Post a Comment