Monday, June 11, 2012

Monday morning

Last night was hideous. That’s the best word I can find to describe it. Now, I’m sitting bleary eyed at my desk, trying to process everything. We went home after being told she was fine, although still febrile. As it was nurse-free night, we put her in our room, set up her monitor, and bipap, and all of us went to sleep. Just before midnight, I woke up to Ellie struggling to breathe, and frantically trying to get her bipap mask off. I yanked it off her face, and saw that she was completely congested. She was trying to breathe through her mouth, but the bipap was blowing all her secretions up her nose, and down into her lungs, causing her to cough and sputter.

I left her off bipap over night, and she had several desats, but every time I tried to put it back on, it caused the same choking issue.

This morning, I left her with DH, so that I could go to work, and I put a call into Dr. D. She called me back almost right away. The blood work from yesterday came back fine, and they haven’t found anything in the NPW yet, so it could be “just a cold”. Dr. D agreed that Ellie can’t be at home with a cold. She just can’t handle it. She needs suction to clear the snot, and closer monitoring to ensure she doesn’t have trouble like she did last night.

Ellie is going in at lunch, once they have a nurse for her, bypassing emergency and going straight to an ICU isolation room. I’ll meet her there, and likely spend the night with her. Poor little girl.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment