Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Today was rough. Last night, Ellie-belle was supposed to spend the night at TCU, but she wasn't feeling well. She had a fever, a little bit of congestion, and wouldn't tolerate her bipap at home. So, being what I thought was considerate of the other patients, I called the respirologist on call. Whoever that was (and it wasn't one of our doctors) advised me to take her through Emergency first, to make sure she wasn't infectious, before allowing her back to TCU.

5 hours, chest x-rays, pee test, and a blood test later, they told me that she was too healthy for the ER, too sick for TCU, and that TCU doesn't take children who have colds.
Pretty even when she's under the weather


It was midnight by the time we left, I hadn't eaten since lunch, and I was feeling rotten myself, so we spent the night at my parents. I slept on the floor, since they don't have a spare bed at the moment. I woke up feeling sore and groggy.

A little while after, the phone rang. It was our respiratory doctor, calling to apologize for the disaster of an evening we had. She said the doctor I had spoken to, apparently hadn't "gotten the memo" about Ellie. Sick, or not, Ellie is to go whenever we want, or whenever the doctors there want, to the TCU, no questions asked. Right now, she's in an isolation room, but whatever magic trick they have is working, because she's happy with her mask, and she's sleeping.

Next time, we are to just show up. They said it was ridiculous to be told that E can't go in if she's sick, she needs even more monitoring when she's sick to protect her airway! So, the offending doctor was put in his place, and now we're back to our little routine of nights off for Mommy.

Hoping I can recover from my bout of illness quickly. I am tired of being sick!

No comments:

Post a Comment