Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Today Jakob and I did some more crafting. Yesterday we didn't actually get all that much done, as he had a short attention span. We got the Santa napkin holders done, a red and green wreath-type thing, a couple paper trees, the melted snowman ornament (which goes through way too much hot glue to be fun for me).

Here's a sampling of what we did today:

A pretty paper star for my front door. I intended to get a proper wreath this year, but because I am so late in getting everything, I haven't been able to find any that I like! This was a lot of fun to make, super easy, all you need is paper, scissors, and hot glue! It took maybe half an hour.


Jakob LOVED making these. Then again, the boy loves getting covered in paint, so it's hard to go wrong when painting body parts is involved. We recently were gifted a set of fantastic finger paints. I painted his feet green, and his toes red. The paints came with foam stamps, so we used the star to make the tree topper. We made several of these.

Every year, I've made a point of making an ornament of Jakob's hand print. It serves to remind me how quickly children grow. This year, I decided to paint the ornaments, and we made enough for our house, my parents, and the in-laws. My salt dough is easy to make. You need:
4 cups of flour
1 cup of salt
2 cups of water.

Mix them all together (adding water slowly, because you might not need the full 2 cups). Knead forever, roll out, and press in your hands, feet, who knows what, then cut around the shape. Use a straw to poke in hanging holes. Bake on parchment paper, at 300F for 25 minutes.

When cool, paint! Or don't...


Better get back to decorating our monster tree, before the hubby loses his mind. Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment