Saturday, December 24, 2011

Sleepovers

We've had Ellie on bipap for just over three weeks, and it's safe to say I haven't slept more than four hours at a time, often much less, since then. The mask moves in the night, and she fusses, and I need to readjust it. When I ignore it, her alarms ring off. Fun times. Or not...
Lucky for me, her respiratory doctors actually care about the well being of our family unit, not just about Ellie, and know that I cannot function properly, let alone care for everyone if I am sleep deprived.
Until we are accepted into the At Home program, and get funding for a night nurse, Ellie is going to be having regular sleepovers at what we're now going to call Hotel Children's Hospital. She's in the TCU (transitional care unit of the ICU), but just there overnight, where someone trained in respiratory therapy can watch her, while I sleep, in my bed at home.
Last night was our first night, and I must admit it was hard to leave her so close to Christmas. She knew I was leaving, which made it worse. But, I slept like the dead, and woke up this morning completely ready to face the day, to cook dinner, to prep for Santa's arrival. It was so good. And, my parents picked her up this morning, and will bring her out this afternoon.
Until she grows (which she won't do much of until she starts GH therapy), she will need the bipap machine, and will also need close observation at night, because her face is so small. If her face grows, she can fit better masks (not this one that they don't like to use because of safety issues). I have no issue leaving her there overnight on days where Jason is working, and where I'm worn out. I am so grateful to have the complete support of our medical team. It really is a great feeling.




No comments:

Post a Comment