Sunday, May 20, 2012

Rainy Day Cooking

My house smells incredibly good at the moment! I decided, since it's raining out, to make comfort food for dinner. Normally, my choice would be macaroni and cheese, but DH asked for meatloaf last week! Finally my chance to try it out.
We haven't gone grocery shopping recently, and I have been wanting to use up some of the things in the freezer, and in our pantry, so that there is less to move when we eventually move.

On the menu for this evening: Southwest Turkey Lentil Meatloaf.

I haven't made a meatloaf, um, ever. Here's how I did it:
-Boil 1/2c green lentils
-Preheat oven to 400C
-Brown 1lb of lean ground turkey, in 2 tsp oil (your choice, I used Safflower) in a large frying pan
-Add 1c southwest salsa, and cooked lentils
-Add 1c fine bread crumbs (I grated a stale baguette directly into the frying pan)
-Grate 1 carrot into the mix
-Add two eggs, stir, and put into a grease loaf pan.
-In a bowl, mix two tbsp ketchup with 1.5 tbsp balsamic reduction.
-Spoon on top of meat/lentil mixture
-Bake for 55min.

Right out of the oven
It came out of the oven looking amazing. The sauce was all caramelized, and mmmmm... Then, how in the heck do you get a meatloaf out of the pan?
I tried... it didn't work! It split in half, half came out, the rest stayed in the pan. I think I didn't leave it to cool enough. Oops! In anycase, I sampled it, and HOLY COW it's delicious!!!!! 

After my failed attempt to remove it from the pan! Still SO GOOD.



1 comment:

  1. That looks so yummy! I can never get my meatloaf to come out in a loaf either, so I just slice it and take it out piece by piece. I'll have to try this recipe, because my husband loves meatloaf. :)

    ReplyDelete