Thursday, May 3, 2012

Love and Confidence

I am so thankful, so grateful, for every day I have with my family. I've heard such sad news from so many different people over the last two weeks, that it's all I can do to hug my babies close, and thank heaven for our health.

Ellie's journey is one of purpose. She is here, I believe, to bring out the best in DH and I, to teach Jakob how to be a kind, loving, empathetic, caring man, to show the world how to love. I just love her so much, I can't even begin to put my feelings for her into words. Words are not enough!

How can such a little being compel so much love, so much caring? She has the ability to make anyone smile, even the grumpy old man we passed yesterday on our walk around town, who was frowning, yelling at traffic, and grumbling to himself - when he locked eyes with Ellie, his face bloomed into the most incredible toothless grin, his eyes sparkled like he was a young man. The transformation was extraordinary, and the best part was that Ellie mirrored his expression perfectly.

I've seen it happen more times than I can count, Ellie lifts people's spirits. It's effortless, it's just what she does.

My heart is so full, and yet every day it seems I love my kids more than the day before. I don't know how it is possible, but my ability to love has been multiplied exponentially.

Sometimes I think I love Ellie SO much because I am subconsciously trying to make sure her love reservoirs are filled to the max, so come the day that someone doesn't fall for her big blue eyes, tousled blonde hair, and amazing smile, and they act the way so many people do towards people with disabilities, that it bounces off her, and she is solid in her self-confidence, in her self-love, and in knowing just how many people love her for being her. I watched an incredibly inspiring video at AboutLizzie.com today. Lizzie has an undiagnosed disorder, and I first read about her when I was researching PWS. She's endured the most horrific forms of bullying, and she holds her head high, focusing on the things she wants to accomplish, not letting people and their mean spirits get her down.

I was having a chat with Jakob, before bed the other night. I told him I loved him more than the whole world, more than just about everything I could imagine. He told me he loved me more, and that he loved his Daddy, and he loved his Ellie, "and, I love ME! Me! Me! Me! I really love myself, Mommy!". My heart burst, and it felt as thought I was handed a "Job Well Done" award, on a silver platter.

I can only hope to continue to encourage my children to learn without fear, to play with reckless abandon, to love with every ounce of their beings, and to believe in themselves, and their potential, just as much as DH and I believe in them.

These little people, how was I so blessed to be chosen to raise and care for them? It is life's most incredible gift <3


No comments:

Post a Comment