Friday, November 18, 2011

Today, my mom, Jakob, Ellie and I went to Harrod's. What a wonder of a place! We walked around the perimetre of the whole store, looking at all the window displays. We decided we most definitely were not going to eat lunch inside, as it was bound to be extravagantly priced. We went in through one door, welcomed by a man in a green suit, who Jakob found to be quite impressive.
We took the lift to the fourth floor, home of Toy Land. We were on a mission to bugy Ellie a baby doll.
Right when we came out of the lift, there was a beautiful, unbelievably decorated tea room. It was too fancy for the two of us with the kids, so we walked past. Just around the corner, was the Tree House. Oh my word! As soon as we set eyes on the place, my mom and I both said "we're eating here!"
The Tree House is a kids focused restaurant, with games on the walls, hopscotch on the floor, picnic tables, everything a kid could want! Jakob loved it! The food was beautiful, and delicious. The coffee was the best I've had this whole year, seriously!
After lunch, we spent seriously, a couple hours wandering around the fourth floor. All name brands, you know, the luxury ones, like Gucci, and Burberry, and Ralph Lauren, etc... I was blown away! I saw the most gorgeous romper, which I would have loved to put Ellie in, if it hadn't cost 300 pounds!! SERIOUSLY! Who can pay that???
After the clothes, we moved on to the toys. I found the perfect doll for my Ellie, then set to finding something to bring home for my niece. While I was looking through the many, many items they have available for little girls, I fell in love with a mini apron, featuring Jemima Puddle-Duck from Peter Rabbit. I picked it up, and a flash of images popped into my head, of Ellie grown up a little, and baking with me. Then, reality hit me, and I burst into tears. Right there, in the middle of Harrods, I dissolved into a puddle of tears, clutching that damn apron like my life depended on in. If anyone noticed, I wasn't aware. I slowly put the apron down, and made my way aimlessly through the rest of the floor until I caught up with mom and Jakob.
Little man, am I ever blessed to have him. He turned my mood around quickly, as we explored the boys toys. He settled on a puzzle box for the plane ride home, and we found a couple gifts, paid and went back down to the main floor.
There, I went looking for a new tea cozy, and settled instead, on a new apron for myself, accompanied by some lovely oven mitts.

HARRODS Clarissa Apron

HARRODS Clarissa Apron (clipped to polyvore.com)
HARRODS glove

HARRODS glove (see more cotton gloves)
They made me feel mildly better about my melt-down.
Finally, after paying for those, we made the longish journey home by bus, noting the route we will take tomorrow to go to Winter Wonderland at Hyde Park.
Three more sleeps and we will be home!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad Harrods didn't disappoint you... I've been there once, I wanted three things... one they said "Not here, love", one I was told to try ebay and the other I found an acceptable alternative but not what I was looking for. That's not how it's meant to work!

    As for baking, apologies if this is a clueless comment, but can you bake with Jakob? Judith loves baking now, but I can imagine that if at some point it's not going to be practical with him, it might be best not to start.

    ReplyDelete