Thursday, November 10, 2011

I'm lacking in the photo department. I'll try harder on the weekend, this week has been so busy!

Today, we went to Oxford and Regent Streets, and my word, if there wasn't a literal sea of people. I cannot believe how busy and buzzing this city is, it is enough to blow my mind. I am happy to come back to our flat in the evening, set everything down, have a glass of wine and unwind. London is definitely too busy a city for me to ever consider moving to. I am not entirely certain just how my parents manage day in and day out!

None the less, I'm happy to be here now, temporarily. Tomorrow I'm taking Ellie to a nearby doctors office, to have her weighed to make sure we're still on track with her weight gain. While I am enjoying time off from appointments, I don't want any surprises when I get home. I'd feel awful if she gained too much, or too little. I still have difficulty wrapping my brain around the fact that my INFANT is on a diet.

Everywhere we go, on the bus, the tube, the grocery store, the street, people comment on how very small Ellie is. When I tell the that she will be 5 months next week (I've quit using her actual age, that causes even more of a commotion), I'm immediately met with the most bizarre looks. Almost as if the people think I'm starving her, or think that I'm lying. Today, for example, we were in Hamley's Toy Shop - lovely, amazing place to visit- and a clerk there stopped to gush at Ellie, all snug in her sling. The first thing she said was, "Oh, she's soooo teeeeny". I told her, why, yes, Ellie is a bit petite. She asked Ellie's age, I told her 5 months, she asked if Ellie was premature, and I said yes, 8 weeks. She then said, well, then she isn't really 5 months, she's only 3, and shouldn't I know to use her adjusted age. Sigh...

I find other people simply exhausting. I spent the first few days wondering why no one makes eye contact here, why they don't smile in passing. Now, I'm grateful for it. Too many people, with too many opinions.

Tomorrow, we're going to visit my dad at work, go for lunch, then my brother and I are going to see Wicked. Should be a lovely day.


No comments:

Post a Comment