Friday, November 4, 2011

London Calling

i am taking the kids across the pond today, to visit my family! My parents and brother live in London, and while my mother comes back often to visit (she just can't stay away from her grandbabies), I only get the opportunity to see the Men a couple times a year, and never for long enough.
So, the big day has arrived. Our bags are mostly packed, I've gotten treats ready, changes of clothes for the kids, a different shirt for me, blankets, bottles, just about everything I can think to bring, without over packing.
What a beautifyl day it is, too. I am so looking forward to flying over the city and seeing it sparkle. Vancouver has that going for it, it's a spectacular sight from above.
We're going for a little over two weeks, sans Jason. The kids and I are going to miss him like crazy, but he's going to be best man for his best friend Jeff's wedding, and I wouldn't have him miss that occasion for anything. I wish I could be there to see them get married! Part of me is a little envious that Jason gets to spend a week in the tropics, while I spend my time in the fog, cold and rain of London. But, there is so much in London I want to see! I have never spent more than a handful of days there at a time. London has always been a pass-through point for me, never a destination. I have a list of things I want to see, museums I want to explore. I can't wait for the evenings, when my parents take the kids, and my brother and I can go have fun, see plays, drink beer. I haven't spent enough time with my brother in the last five years, and I'm so looking forward to it, knowing -of course- that we will most likely try to kill eachother on Day 3, and then resume being friends. Ah, sibling relationships.
The time away from here, from all our appointments, from all the doctors, will be so good for Ellie and I. I can't wait to just spend my days with her, and not have stresses about what test is next, where we have to get to for what time, we can just enjoy each other.
And Jakob, well, I think I'm most excited about going with him. He is brilliant. I am not just being an egotistical, biased mother, either. He remembers everything. He remembers the apartment in London, from when he was 18 months old. He knows what the flight is like, he asks questions about everything. For a not-yet three-year-old, he knows so much. He will LOVE the Museum of Natural History, the Children's Museum, the parks, the libraries, the children with funny accents. He is going to love all of it, I am absolutely certain.
Tomorrow we will land in London, the car will come get us, we'll go to the flat and relax. Then, I'll go to the shops and buy ingredients to make my father a birthday cake, make a card for both Men's birthdays, and will plan out our vacation.
Best be off, there's a little man around here who ought to have a nap before we head to the airport.
Will post pictures and blog about our adventures while I'm over there, I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment