Thursday, March 14, 2013

Sugar, Baby.

When I'm feeling down, I love to surround myself with my besties, and I love to bake. Yesterday,  Jakob and I baked and ate a tray of scones, complete with jam and clotted cream. (No pictures, we ate them too quickly!)

Today, I baked a trial (ish) version of the mini tiered cakes I want to do for Ellie's birthday, only instead of doing white cake, I went for chocolate, with chocolate cream cheese frosting. If you Google "mini ombre cakes" you'll find a bunch of photos that I used for my inspiration. I read a blog post this morning about linking to other people's blog photos and it freaked me out, so I'm just using my own not-so-great cellphone photos :)

They were YUM! And, gluten free. The test run made me see that less is more and I think a two tiered version works better than three, especially in terms of cake-to-frosting ratio.
I really like the rose piping!

Must make sure the batter is level before baking!

After the kids went to bed, I decided to try my hand at making shaped sugar. I stumbled across the idea in Pippa Middleton's book, Celebrate. Easy, peasy, and feels very much like playing with sand! I had molds left from when I bought the molds for Jake's birthday cake last year, and they worked perfectly.

1/2 c normal sugar, 1tsp water, 1 drop food colouring.  Mixed til the consistency of wet sand. Then pressed into the molds using a teaspoon, and pressed onto parchment paper. Can't wait to do some other shapes, and have them out for Ellie's tea party!
Half a cup doesn't seem like a lot, until you work through it a half tsp at a time!





No comments:

Post a Comment