Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Comfort food

For reasons not acceptable to be discussed online, I have been rather grumpy of late. When I am feeling like this, the one thing that makes me really happy is creating in the kitchen. That, and cleaning until everything sparkles.

Today, decided on comfort food, so I am making slow-cooker pulled pork (two pork loins, a mini can of coke, and BBQ sauce, set on low for 6-8 hours) and fancy Mac 'n cheese. For dessert, I made chocolate banana muffins.

The macaroni involves a number of steps, and the more steps, the more therapeutic.

Slow-Cooker doing its thing while the bacon sizzles


Two onions, sliced thinly, and fried (slowly!) in butter until caramelized.

Half a pack bacon, fried, with the grease reserved, chopped and set aside.

Boil the noodles for half the time indicated on the box. I like whole wheat pasta. Drain.

In the noodle pot, melt a quarter cup butter, add the bacon grease. Whisk in 1/4 c flour, and cook for a minute, stirring constantly. Add 2 cups milk, and cook until thickened. Add two eggs and beat well. Mix in cheese. I used a couple cups shredded cheddar, Parmesan, and about a cup cottage cheese. Add the bacon and onions, mix well. Add the macaroni!

Pour into a greased baking dish, and bake at 350f for 20 minutes, or until bubbling.

Yum.

Muffins... I didn't really measure. Two overripe bananas (I keep them in the freezer if we don't eat them in time), 1/2 c sugar, 1/4 c cocoa powder, 1tsp baking soda, 1 egg, 1 cup flour, and a tsp of vanilla. Mix it all up and spoon into lined muffin tin. Bake at 350f for 20 min.
Between the kids and I, there are four left...

No comments:

Post a Comment