Thursday, August 23, 2012

Dreams

For as long as I can remember, I have always had the most vivid of dreams. For whatever reason, I also seem to cycle through themes, such that I dream about the same topic for a couple weeks, and then move on to the next. There doesn't seem to be any particular rhyme or reason to it, and most of the time it surprises me what my subconscious fixates on.
This week, I'm stuck in high school. I can't tell you what a trip it is to be 10-15 years in the past, dreaming like it happened yesterday. I takes me a few solid minutes to come back to reality, and for some reason I've been feeling sad that it wasn't real.
Nothing happens in particular, there's school, and handing assignments, and hanging out with friends, like old times. We drink, we laugh, we goof around, with nothing remotely important to worry about. Maybe that's what I miss, the freedom from responsibilities.
These days, I have a lot on my plate. I can handle it just fine, and I'm in a very happy place. I couldn't be happier with my marriage, and the kids are an absolute joy. I love my job. I love the planning of our walk, getting ready to start Jakob's second year of preschool, and putting our house back on the market. I wouldn't change any of it, but the way things are these days certainly make me feel grown up.
I also miss a lot of the people I used to be close with. That's the hardest part of these dreams... waking up realizing that I haven't talked to some of them in years, that I didn't just spend the evening laughing with them, that I don't have a clue what they're actually up to in real life. Almost everyone has moved on, started careers, gotten married, settled down. I'm sure a baby boom is coming one of these days.
I am SO grateful to have reconnected with my girls. There's something special about growing up together, a comfort level that you just don't get meeting people as adults, I love that connection.
Wonder what tonight will bring!

No comments:

Post a Comment