Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Signing Off


I am quitting Facebook. I've been thinking a lot about it, about why I have it, about what I get from it. I share a lot. Probably too much. I noticed yesterday that I have 572 friends. WHAT?! That's ridiculous. I'm sharing all my information, all my photos with that many people???


It's weird to run into someone you haven't seen in ages, and know everything about where they're working, who they're dating, etc... What happened to the mystery?  The phone doesn't ring anymore, I barely get emails. Everything is on Facebook. It's like a cult, practically impossible to leave. If you post that you're leaving, people think that you're attention seeking, so I'm just posting a blog post, and will make a quiet exit.

I don't need, or want 500 "friends".  I need to spend less time in the virtual world, and more time in the real world, with real people.

I won't lie, it has been IMMENSELY helpful with fundraising for One Small Step, we raised so much money, but could that have happened even if I didn't have an account? Probably. It was great when I ran SusieCues, but that's over.

I love, love my mommy groups. They're so helpful. I'll miss that the most, but there are live mommy groups in town. I could make new real friends. I love my little PWS support group, and the support it offers is huge. But, Ellie's doing so well, that right now I think I'm okay without. My love stops there. Sure, it's convenient being able to stalk people. I don't need to actually talk to someone to know what is going on in their lives. It's also mostly creepy. The more and more I think about it, the online world isn't very nice. People think they can say whatever they want without any consequence. There is little respect online.

So tomorrow I'm disabling my account. I'm on the internet so much for work, that I don't need this when I'm at home. It might be a rough transition, all of a sudden having extra hours in the day with which to do whatever I want... ha.

Shoot me a message if you want my email address to keep in touch, if you want to keep tabs on what we're up to. I LOVE emails.

And, don't worry, the blog isn't going anywhere.



5 comments:

  1. I will be keeping an eye on the blog. God luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely understand, and have contemplated the same. I will be sure to keep up with you here, and I wish you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I just signed up to follow your blog.... not sure if I did everything right, but I guess I'll be finding out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sad not to be keeping up with you guys on a day to day basis, but adding you to my Blog Roll. I'll miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Completely understand!! I'll continue to read your blog to keep up with you!!!

    ReplyDelete