Thursday, September 6, 2012

What a Day!

It’s my lunch hour, and I’m slowly processing through the past 24 hours. I started today off, at 5:25am, got up, made tea, got dressed, kissed Ellie good morning, and headed out the door for Sunrise Yoga, at Open Space. I haven’t been to a yoga class in so, so very long. With everything we’ve had going on, it is hard to justify taking time away from my kids to spend time on myself. Seeing as my children sleep until 7am, or so, a yoga class from 6-7am is perfect! I feel so centred today, so much calmer, so much more in myself.

Yesterday was a very stressful, very exciting day. The bank opening started at 10:30am, and it was a mad dash to get us all out the door in time. We made it, just in time for everything to get started. Corey, the manager of the bank, did his spiel, we heard from a Scotia VP, and then they made the two charitable donations. First was to Sources, a great community resource. Then, it was our turn, and they had me say a few words about our walk.

I wasn’t prepared, and I was a little jittery, but it was awesome.

Everyone loved Ellie, they always do! Our little donation jar received a bunch of donations, and we should find out by Monday how much we raised!
I had the honour of meeting a Delta City Councillor, who was there representing the Mayor. She was very interested in Ellie, and such a nice woman! She asked if she could speak about our walk at their council meeting on Monday! Yay! The VP, Mr. Poole, was amazing. He and Corey SO generously donated some of their air time on JRfm (my fav!!!) to promote One Small Step and our walk! I got to meet Barbara Beam, and had three cut-ins throughout the afternoon.

At 3:30pm, Travis Lulay (QB of the BC Lions) showed up for autographs, and he signed two of our OSS shirts, which we hope to sell in the silent auction. Ellie loved him.
I talked to SO many people about PWS yesterday. So many people were genuinely interested in knowing what it was, and what was being done to find a cure. I felt a confidence that I’ve never really felt before. I can do this! This is my calling! After the opening wrapped up, Ellie and I went out to visit with our good friends Gemma and Amanda. I love all my friends, but to have another special needs mom who I can open up to is really special. Today, we’re on the COVER of the South Delta Leader! Ellie and I are on the cover! It’s so surreal.

With two weeks to go to our walk, and all the publicity we’re getting, I KNOW we’re going to meet our fundraising goal. Our thermometer is sitting at $6511. I saw that the two kids who are fundraising for Ellie are close to $550, so there’s another $200 in offline donations. With the $500 from Scotia, and close to $800 (I think) from the donation bin at Scotia, we’ve raised just over $8000! Only $2k to our goal! I can’t wait to see what happens over the coming weeks, and see how many funds we can bring in for research! We’ve got this!

1 comment:

  1. This post brought tears to my eyes, Susie! Look what YOU have done for Ellie!!! I am so thrilled for you!

    ReplyDelete