Friday, July 29, 2011

I wonder where I will be when I get the phone call. What I will be doing, who I will be with. Will it be in the morning, in the afternoon? Will I be distracted, or will the kids be sleeping, and myself fully able to absorb the information relayed through a crystal clear connection? Will Jason be home? Will I be alone?
Yesterday, I wasn't entirely positive that Ellie had PWS. But, for some reason I decided to look up a term that was in her chart at the hospital, that I had never looked up before. It seemed insignificant at the time, but curiosity got the better of me, so I googled it. Hypoplastic labia minora. It has to do with underdeveloped girl parts. I didn't add anything to the search query other than those three words. One of the first listings was for differential diagnoses. I clicked on that, and was mildly surprised to see that the only congenital diagnosis they offered was PWS. That solidified it in my mind. I am set. I have a plan of action, a letter drafted for friends and family, all I need is the phone call.
On August 21st, just over three weeks from now, there's a fundraising walk in support of PWS, put on by the Foundation for Prader-Willi Research, called the One SMALL Step walk. We are going. We are going to start fundraising the minute we get our diagnosis. I am so, so excited that there's an event like this close to where we live, with others who have gone through exactly what we're living.
I set up a page for Ellie, which is already live, but until we know for certain, it feels strange telling people about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment