Thursday, July 14, 2011

I honestly never thought *I* would ever, ever have problems breastfeeding a child. With my son, I had ao much, and I never even questioned what I would do if I were put in the position of not being able to do it. I admit, I looked down on people who could breastfeed but chose not to.
This time around, I have next to no supply. The 9 weeks Ellie was in the NICU, I pumped and pumped and pumped and stored every drop she didn't drink (well...take through her tube).
We have been home for almost a month and I have hardly anything left in my frozen stash. I pump every three hours, religiously, and today got an ounce a session. She takes almost three ounces a feed. I feel like a failure.
We are so brainwashed to think breast is best, in whatever form, that pondering the notion of supplementing with formula hurts me to my core.
I rest a lot, drink tons of water, pump according to schedule and take a million fenugreek tablets a day. Nothing.
No change, except perhaps for the worse. I have probably enough to get us to our next doctor appointment. If I can't somehow boost production by then, I will admit defeat and ask about formula feeding.
Sigh...

No comments:

Post a Comment