Tuesday, September 3, 2013

New Hobby!

I have been exceptionally lucky to have inherited some awesome pieces of furniture from my grandmothers and great-aunt. They all have great bones, but are a little outdated,  and/or completely impractical when you share a house with young children and a dog.

This chaise longue is my favourite reading and napping spot; it always has been! The poor thing is in desperate need of a new cover, it seems to attract stains out of the blue!
It's pretty, isn't it?
I fell in love with some upholstery fabric, and decided to take the plunge on a floral/bird print from Premier Prints.  It's called Birds of a feather,  and there are several coordinating fabrics that go with it, all in natural/village blue.

I cannot WAIT to get this thing done!

I'm waiting on some upholstery supplies to speed up the job, but until they arrive I have my work cut out getting it ready for covering! 

The skirt was made up of 16 pieces, all stapled through a tack strip with a million staples. SOOooo many staples, I am seriously considering getting a tetanus booster just in case!
Layers!

It took me almost two hours to pull off the skirt and peel off the sides and back.
Lots of Staples...

I've been keeping track of my progress, and marking down the order in which I've disassembled it, so I know how to put it back together.
Peeling away the years

Hubs is going to have to move it downstairs,  so I'm not working out of our living space! As I get closer to the frame, the batting scares me more and more. It needs a) to be outside, and b) to be replaced! 

Also on the go, is the recovering of two mid-century teak chairs that I am super excited about.
These are going to be great!

They're going to be done in the Premier Prints Chevron fabric. Good choice,  I hope!  
Hopefully it all looks good, and not too busy...
Stay tuned for progress reports!

No comments:

Post a Comment