Friday, July 20, 2012

Think before you speak...

Today someone said something in passing, that likely wouldn't even have registered with me a couple years ago. As soon as I processed the words, my jaw , and my heart fell.
We had been talking about the terrible, heartbreaking shootings in Colorado, and about the gunman. We were talking about what an unstable individual he must have been, when somone said "he must be missing some chromosomes".

...


People don't realize what they say. That person knows about Ellie, but it didn't even register with her that it was an inappropriate thing to say. I'm sure it is much like how people use the words "gay" or "retarded". It is completely wrong to use those words in a defamatory sense, yet it happens everwhere, all the time.

I wish it wouldn't. I wish people wouldn't associate lgtb people with negative. I wish everytime someone did something STUPID, they weren't called retarded. Ellie is "retarded". It is in her chart. The pc term id developmentally delayed, but however you spin it, it doesn't mean she is stupid. Far from it!!

I was so hurt by the comparison between psychotic mass murdered, and my little girl who happens to be missing chromosomes.

But, if I didn't know what a blessing she was, if I didn't know how amazing it is to know "special" children, I wouldn't have grown my heart enough to be hurt by those words.

Please, if someone does something ridiculous, just tell them they're ridiculous. If they're mean, tell them they're mean. If they're stupid, call a spade a spade. Just don't use a term that is heavy with emotional implications. Think before you speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment