Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Quilts and Yogurt

Hi! It's been a while since I properly posted, and I have a good excuse. Little man is away on holidays, so I've been 100% focused on Ellie. I can't say I like having him away, but I sure am able to get things done that I normally wouldn't be able to, like quilting, and really cooking.

I'm presently working on a quilt for one of my favourite people in the world. It's the biggest quilt I've done this far, when it's finished it will be approximately 40"x55". Normally, I do them 36"x45". I bought the pattern, it's called the Color Block Quilt, by Bijou Lovely. LOVE the pattern, and so far it is coming together nicely. I've been slowly working on it over the past five days, and all that's left is the binding.

 Here's the inspiration:

Here's what I've got so far:


Because my body can't handle too much work, I've been taking it slow, and savouring every step. I am so, so enjoying making it. I have only positive thoughts going through my head when I'm working on it, and it's filled with love. Can't wait to give it away!

Stay tuned for final photos!

***

The other day we were almost out of yogurt, and I had Ellie with me, and I wasn't feeling particularly well, so I didn't want to leave the house. I am OBSESSED with my summer oatmeal breakfast, and was not happy at the thought of starting the next day without it. So, I got onto the internet, and discovered that making yogurt is insanely easy. Seriously, my brother could do it.

I gave it a go, and it was perfect the next morning. The best thing? Two ingredients: milk, and bacteria. No additives, no preservatives, no scientific mumbojumbo that I can't pronounce. Heaven.

So, today, since we were at the end of that batch, I decided to do it again, big scale.

Susie's Fruit-on-the-Bottom Yogurt:

-4 litres milk (I used 2% because Ellie is going to eat it, and she needs the increased milk fat)
-1.5 cups plain yogurt.



- clean containers
 - fruit of your choice
You will only need store bought yogurt once, after that all you need is to save enough as starter for your next batch!

Heat the milk over medium high heat, stirring forever, until the milk reaches 180F. By bringing the milk up to this temperature, it kills off all the bad bacteria, leaving room for the good bacteria you`ll add later.

Stir, stir, stir. If you stop, the milk will probably burn.
 Once it reaches that temperature, remove from heat, and pour into a warmed container. I use my crock pot, because it`s easy to wrap up, and it keeps the heat in nicely. Try to avoid spilling as you transfer from one container to the other. I wasn't careful enough, and splashed some on my foot. It's a good thing Ellie isn't at the repeating stage yet, else she would have learned a new word.
Wish my thermometer had a clip. It's hot holding it in the milk! Don't burn yourself.

Preheat the crock pot with boiling water
Pour into heated container, and wait!



Now, you wait. The milk has to cool to below 120F. For me, it took just under an hour with the quantity of milk I have. The last batch, it took 20 minutes, because I only used 6 cups of milk.

 While you're waiting, you can prepare your containers with fruit. I am a fruit-a-holic, and I also like having several choices in the morning. Today, I've prepped Rainier cherries,  organic nectarines, organic raspberries, blueberries, organic mango, and a Bartlett pear. I LOVE mason jars, but didn't have enough to hold everything, so I used a few freezer jam containers, and a baby food container. Refrigerate!
Aren't they pretty? Doesn't this make you excited about breakfast?!
 When the milk reaches 115F, add in the yogurt starter, mix, and cover the container. Then, wrap it up in a blanket, so that the nice little bacteria are incubated.
115F

Attach the lid...

...and bundle!


In about six hours, you can check on it. It will have separated, and you'll have solids and liquids. If you like your yogurt runnier, now's the time to take it out, otherwise, you can leave it for up to 12 hours. The longer you leave it, the thicker it will be, and the tangier it will be.

Because I started a little late in the day, I really should have waited until after dinner, I am rushing things a little. In batches, pour the yogurt into a clean linen dishtowel, or into cheese cloth, and drain the excess liquid. I like for my yogurt to be quite thick, so I squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
Yes, it's gross looking... Just drain off that yellow liquid

See? Yogurt!!

Strain

And divide :) So yummy.


Divide into prepared fruit cups, and into a container for plain yogurt. If you like, you can reserve enough to act as starter for next time.

Chill, and enjoy!

Oh, and if you were wondering, Ellie's been keeping me company in her Pack n Play!



2 comments:

  1. Wow that is super freakin easy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That quilt is so lovely and I can't wait to see it finished. And the yogurt looks yummy, too. My husband is really into homebrewing beer, and I think some of the steps are similar. :)

    ReplyDelete