Thursday, February 14, 2013

Two Years!

It dawned on me yesterday, that I've had this blog for over two years. I also came to the realization that this year is our THIRD year celebrating Valentine's Day in the hospital. Not funny.

Ellie, my sweet, brave girl, had her tube surgery yesterday! She was NPO from the evening prior, with a check-in time of 11am, and surgery scheduled from 11:55am-12:35pm. Everything ran on schedule.
So cute in that striped gown!



We checked her in, and they gave her (and Baby Doll) an id band. She got numbing gel on her hand and ankle - which I would later come to learn was completely useless, since it took over 10 tries to get an iv started.
Waiting for our turn to go in

 I was with her as they gave her the sleeping gas, and waited patiently with DH in the parents' waiting room, my stomach in knots, until the doctor came out at 12:30pm to tell us it all went well.

Ellie had a LOT of thick, sticky fluid in both ears, and the doctor told me that he was glad I pushed for the tubes. They were completely necessary.

They told us that she would wake up shortly, and we could see her. When an ICU nurse I know well came to get us, I was so excited to see my baby. Only, she wasn't awake.
Sleeeeeeeeeepy

 She didn't wake up for probably three hours longer than they anticipated. The anesthetic was supposed to be a fast-acting one, that they snap out of quickly. Thank goodness that's all they used, I can't imagine what it would have been like if she's been under anything more intense!

When she finally woke up she was GRUMPY.
Neither of us was particularly happy


Grumpy, and easily startled (Yay! A sign that her hearing is already improving!).

Her balance has improved dramatically, to the point where we were walking around the ward, with her only holding on to my right index finger!!

She came home this afternoon, and she's so happy to be home.

Phoenix is finding his place in our family.
He's already growing up so fast!

 He is a nipper/biter/chewer, and we're struggling with that, especially around Jakob. For some reason he doesn't behave like that around Ellie, he just loves her to death!

Mad Love <3

I got a great new carry-case for my camera from DH, and I'm so glad he didn't get me flowers. I'm really not a flowers type of girl, that's just another thing I need to look after!



1 comment:

  1. Just checking in, and so thrilled that Ellie's surgery went well! Your new "baby" is really cute, too!

    ReplyDelete